Sunday, November 9, 2008

Old & New Friends


So, yesterday was Turkey day at our house. Everything came out well (unlike the pumpkin bread, which I cooked not enough, but is still okay if you toast it long enough), and we sat down to stuff ourselves with turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade stuffing, homemade gravy, kale & onions, & lingonberries. I only made it through one plate, but it was probably a 10-pounder. I was a little stressed out, because our friends Mike & Marilyn were having a party, and I wanted to go to that too - but D & I both drank more than was advisable on Thursday, and Friday nites, and so we weren't really in a partying mode. I would usually have skipped this one, but these friends are moving to Nashville next Saturday, so this would be the last time we get to hang out with them for awhile.

This makes me sad - they are very nice people, and we haven't hung out enough with them. We still have their wedding to look forward to, but aren't sure when that will happen. (They're moving because of financial strain - more jobs for Mike in Nashville than here). So, it was important to me to go. We went, we drank very lightly (I ended the night with 4 glasses of water), and we picked up a new friend. Marilyn is a bit of a collector, and i had previously admired her cookie jar collection. But, they're moving with one carload of stuff, so she's had to get rid of almost everything. Ebay, yard sales, etc are all over, & now she's giving stuff away to charity, or whoever will take it. So I took her cookie monster cookie jar (I needed one anyway), and we're going back today to pick up a cafe table (tall) & 3 stools. I think this will work well in the downstairs kitchen once it's finished.

And I made sure they know that whenever they come back to Pittsburgh for visits, they should stay with us - we have the room & love hosting out-of-towners.

No comments: