Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tomato Preserves, part III

The rundown:

Last year I made really awesome tomato preserves from the bumper crop of small tomatoes & chili peppers that we got from our garden. But, I made way too little - and gave most of that away. So this year, I was determined to make more. I actually ended up making two batches this year, since the tomato plants just kept producing.

The first batch - I burned. I was determined not to do this the second time. I picked more tomatoes, pickled/cooked them, and then, left the pot in the fridge for over a week. I reduced them, over many hours, and left the pot in the fridge for a few days. Today, I came home from work early, determined to can the stuff, and get my fridge space back. And I promptly burned the preserves. And possibly ruined my pot too.

I poured the unburned stuff off, further reduced, and canned that. We'll see. I'm not hopeful.

2 comments:

Spryte said...

Awww... I do know someone down the hill would love to try some!

Kristen said...

Oh, how frustrating! Hope it turned out okay.