Monday, October 13, 2008

Manhattan Wedding

We took a day off on Friday, and drove out to Manhattan (okay, we actually drove to New Jersey) for the wedding of D's cousin (well, one of them, there are like a million cousins in this family). It was such a beautiful drive - all of the leaves in the higher altitudes of PA have changed & were in full force. We haven't quite reached that point in Pittsburgh yet, so it was nice to get a preview. Plus it was gorgeous weather & I had an interesting book with me. We reached NJ around 5 pm, and were greeted by D's aunt & uncle. Had some nice wine & cheese, & chatted about current events.

Saturday morning, all the ladies in the group went and did a 5k. We walked, so as not to have any vomiting/heart attacks. And D's aunt won 3rd place for her age bracket! I did not do so well - I was probably last in my age group, but I didn't run, so.... Now I want to try one around Pittsburgh, to see how I'd do if I did put a little more effort into it. Probably would do about the same - HA!

Then we got ready for the wedding. D had gotten a new suit, so he looked sharp, and I was wearing my old red dress. I felt renewed irritation at the woman who altered it for me back in Somerville - she really messed it up & it fit worse after I took it to her. So I'll have to get it realtered (if there's enough material to play with) at some point. We drove into Manhattan & got to the hotel early. A round of drinks, and it was ceremony time. It was a beautiful & simple ceremony, & I'm glad that we were there. Hors d'ouevres were interesting - a mini turkey & beef burger bar, and a glass of wine. Then we all headed upstairs to a different ball room for dinner & dancing. I had a great time, and D has even agreed to go to dancing lessons with me next year, so that the next time we go to a wedding, we won't look so clueless on the dance floor.

The drive back to Pittsburgh was just as beautiful. I always thought that I wouldn't find anywhere prettier than Massachusetts/New England, but I think Pennsylvania has it beat.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I somehow missed this post until now. I'm glad you guys had a nice time. I saw the pics on Facebook - you look beautiful!

But, sacrilege! "...Pennsylvania has it beat" - WHA?!! I guess we'll have to head your way sometime to confirm/disprove your theory. ;-)