Well, the dumpster weight came back at 5.49 tons. That sounds really impressive, until I reveal that it rained pretty hard the night before they picked up the dumpster, so all the plaster inside of it soaked up enough water to probably increase the weight by at least 1.49 tons. Which makes me wonder why Noah didn't just remodel his house right before the flood, and let the plaster soak up all of that water. Not trying to be blasphemous, but I've got to keep the jokes coming in this family.
Shaun tagged me for a meme, so here goes:
I will:
1)use as many colons as possible in this post (just kidding, that's not part of the meme, ooh, and a typo just revealed to me how to spell meme phonetically - it's meem!)
No, really this time:
1. Write the title to your own memoir using 6 words.
2. Post it on your blog.
3. Link to the person that tagged you.
4. Tag five more blogs.
So, 6 words isn't really enough, but I'll eliminate the first two I wanted to use, since they only refer to the last 5 years of my life. And what I'm left with pretty much describes most of my life anyway, so perhaps it's better that way. Here's mine:
It seemed like a good idea...
It was originally going to be: Grad School: It seemed like a good idea. But, when I think about it, this applies to most of the decisions I've made. So it's gonna stick. I could come up with something extremely science-dorky, but then no-one but other science dorks would even consider reading the book, and I wouldn't make Clinton-style money off of my memoirs. And I'd probly get angry letters from scientists that I forgot to cite, because they too had a bad time in grad school, and they went before me, so I must have plagiarized my disillusionment from them.
Actually things in science-land have not been so bad lately, I gave an anatomy talk yesterday that went over well - even though the consensus in the end was that I have a talent for choosing really hard questions that look really easy in the beginning, and that no-one else in their right mind would want to do this particular project. And we can argue back and forth on the right way to do it, but as our department chair said, "It basically comes down to what you feel is good enough".
Otherwise, not much to update, I'm going to try to work in the yard today, and catch up on family calls: first on the list is Johanna (i have your cell phone number and am not afraid to use it). I just have to find my phone, and discover its not charged, charge it, then forget who I wanted to call, and end up doing the same thing tomorrow. To all the mothers out there - I hope you have a wonderful mother's day, you are the most amazing women I know (okay, that goes more for the mothers that I am related to), and I love you very much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Umm, I don't know where my phone is, and I think the battery has run down, so it may just go to voicemail. "Plagiarized my disillusionment from them" is going down in history as one of the funniest things I've read -and I've been reading a lot of David Sedaris.(I have one book I actually BOUGHT by him, only to find out the library has it, that I want to send to you, it contains the story "Dinah, The Christmas Whore" and also a description of his OCD tics "my nervous tics shifted into their highest gear,and a small crowd gathered to watch what they believed to be an exotic folk dance"). It Seemed Like A Good Idea is beautiful. I'll hopefully talk to you at some point this weekend, after I ransack the house and yard for my phone- I heard it ringing in the middle of the night but rolled over, confident that I would be able to find it in the morning...
I have worked with a lot of carpenters and builders. They all have a common phrase that defines their work. The phrase is "That's good enough.". I have never heard my brother use it, that's probably why he is the best there is, and I have never heard you use it. "That's good enough" is the theme song of mediocrity and has no place in your life. You have always strived to do your best and your best is better than anyone else's. Someday you will accept the Prize in their native language and amaze the entire commitee,
then you can say "I guess that I am good enough,
daddy
Ericka,
I am catching up reading your postings. So, I am commenting on all at once. You ARE too critical and hard on yourself! You have a brilliant mind and are fastidious in your ethics and your methods. Don't second guess yourself. YOU ARE DEFINITELY NOT BORING!!! You are a whirlwind of mental and physical activity...and not ineffective, but absolutely expert and accomplished in everything you attempt. And, your whit is wonderful! You are amazing! You cannot take credit for your gifts of intelligence and whatever positive genetic traits and characteristics you've inherited, but you certainly should give yourself plenty of credit for what you have done with them and all you've proven to become as a person. You squander nothing and put everything to work to your benefit, mentally, emotionally, and physically. I am blessed to be your mother! Love you.
Post a Comment