I'm going on my first real work trip tomorrow. I'll be driving to Ann Arbor, MI tomorrow afternoon, & Monday I will go meet Dr. S. to talk about enzyme-mediated microamperometry experiments (sorry, just had to geek out there for a minute). It's a cool technique, & I'd like to use it, but I have to find out more about some of his lab's previous experiments (things I couldn't get in his papers) & try to convince him that its worth looking at my brain area (of interest). I'm not sure that I will be able to, but I hope that he'll find the conversation worth having.
That said, I am terrifically nervous tonight. And, apparently, alliterative. I laid in bed for almost an hour with my mind racing, then got up to blog - a la Doogie Howser. I am mostly packed, but still have to go to the lab tomorrow to work on some images. While in Ann Arbor, I'm going to give Dr. S's lab a short talk about my thesis work, and explain some of the reasoning behind the experiments I want to do. This is the part I'm afraid of, and consequently the part that I have put off the most. My current boss promised I would do this, & I am slightly annoyed at this - it was not how I wanted to spend the last two weeks, and now I feel unprepared for my discussion with this guy. And I really respect his work, and am pretty intimidated by him. But, I'll get everything done tomorrow (images in the morning in Pgh, and charts/polishing slides once I check into my hotel.) And I know it will be alright, however it turns out, I'm just still keyed up - excited, I guess.
I do feel bad that I missed a Dad's & my sister's birthdays this week - I sent an online message to my sister, but will call you both tomorrow. I love & miss you both & hope you enjoyed your days.
Now I am actually yawning, but it may be Braxton-Hicks yawns (it's a lame joke, I know, but I'm a scientist - we're where lame jokes come from). I'm going to stay up just a bit longer to make sure :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sweetheart,
you are going to love Ann Arbor. It is more like Boston than most places. There is a dixieland bar where the waiters wear straw hats and striped vests. When you tip the waiter, the band comes around your table and plays. Watch out for the trombones. Ann Arbor is laid back and non-judgemental, avoid Lansing the other major college town. I think that they have a branch of the Nixon library there,
drive carefully, daddy
Oh man, it's been so long since I've understood what the heck it is you study! Don't know if I ever did-you have a knack for explaining unbelievably complicated things in ways stupid people understand(but we were all usually stoned then too, so the only example that jumps into my mind is your explanation of electrical impulses in the brain that connect to the eye, interrupted by my pointing out that a letter had died in the abandoned Rich's plaza so the 10 foot high red neon sign now said ICH'S, which I thought was the funniest damn thing I had ever seen). Don't worry about the birthday crap- I wasn't turning five, and I had a great day sort of hanging out by myself-I actually turned down Mom's offer to come over with cake because I was afraid I'd strangle my kids if we stayed in the house one more second. Hope everything goes well, love you(and I freaking love Braxton Hicks yawning, and beg your permission to use that phrase a whole bunch for at least 2 weeks)
Hi, sweetie. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you all the best for your trip and your talk. Have faith in yourself - you're incredibly smart and well-spoken - you will do great!
Ericka,
I'm sure you'll dazzle 'em! You always worry needlessly about your presentations, work, intelligence, etc. I know you will be an impressive force and figure. God bless. Love you. Mom
Post a Comment