Wednesday, December 12, 2007

%*&$##! microdialysis probes!

So I've been doing this apprenticeship thing (research in another lab) for a couple of months now, and enjoying it. But, despite the relative simplicity of the experiments, it is actually very hard to get data. First you have to make decent probes out of very small and delicate materials, plus a lot of epoxy. Then you have to implant them into a brain. Then you have to hook them up to liquid that is pushed through them. Then you have to inject the liquid that you collect into an HPLC machine. Then you pray that the HPLC will reveal some nice peaks.

However, I have discovered there are many things that can go wrong at all stages of this procedure. 1) Animal dies while or immediately after you implant probes. 2) Probes, which were flowing fine before you put them in brain, immediately cease flowing once you put them into brain. 3) Probes stop flowing at some random time during experiment, usually because air has somehow gotten into the line. 4) HPLC freaks out & won't show you anything useful.

Since the whole process takes two days even when its working well, it's frustrating to have it crap out on you towards the end. Especially since you'll just have to do the whole thing again if the data aren't complete. Actually, you have to do the whole thing again anyway, to prove that your results aren't just a fluke. Why am I doing this again?

Oh yeah, at some point I thought science was exciting and fun.

In other news (aka Holiday update), many of my holiday cards went out yesterday. Which is in itself surprising, since the postman only comes by our house on a random schedule (I think it's based on whenever he feels like climbing the stairs). Cookies are done, I have only one more batch of toffee to make, and cheese straws. And then, of course, lug gigantic boxes to UPS for shipping. I think I will have to borrow the car for this.

One more note, I've been bugging D to get the Voice-over-IP working in the house. I feel I have waited long enough (over a year now) for this to be working, since my cell phone doesn't work in the house, & no-one ever calls me anymore due to aforementioned cell phone problem. I miss talking to my family (not a problem for him), and would like to be able to cook or clean while I talk to them (also not a problem for him). So I threatened to get a landline installed, which I may do anyway, since the VOIP will not work whenever the computer crashes, which, in our house, is every 35 seconds. There are times when I understand why he gets fired so much - nothing ever works without having to reset it 45,000 times. Or having to call him to do it, since I don't have his passwords, or don't know which of his 15 computers is having the problem in question, or don't really care to learn how to fix it. I just want to be able to talk on the phone (or watch TV, which also breaks constantly because he has to have a free Tivo like program running on some Frankenstein computer - my favorite part of this is that it will pretend to record things, but then have an empty data file - just kidding! you can't actually watch that show!)


Urrgh, sorry to complain, I know I said I wouldn't do that here. But a lot of things are getting to me right now.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

The experiment stuff sounds so frustrating. :-(

Boy - you are WAY ahead of me with the holiday stuff! Our holiday cards just arrived today from Shutterfly, so I haven't started writing them out yet. No cookies or chocolates yet. We did at least put up all the decorations and Christmas tree.

You've been waiting a whole year for the VoIP? Sheesh! That's nuts! I miss talking to you, too. My phone works at home, but I still don't get to talk very much since a certain tiny boy decides to throw a screaming fit every time I hold the thing to my ear. But at least we have our blogs now to stay in touch! :-)

sandwhichisthere said...

It is good that you complained. The icor of frustration has to go somewhere or it will root around inside of you.
The apprenticeship thing is frustrating and almost universal. Apprentices do all of the work and the big guns get all of the credit. Alexander Graham Bell was the brilliant inventor of the telephone. Not many people remember what the first message he transmitted over the telephone was. "Watson, come here I need you!" What he needed was for Watson to tell him what the password was again, for the fortyfifth thousandth time. Edison"s apprentice was Steinmetz, of all people. Imagine that great mind laboring at a bench in Menlo Park when Edison said "Where is that filament? Someone must have stolen it.".
To which Steinmetz replied " I don't know Tom, maybe it is under the coffee maker or in your wife's sewing kit and by the way, is that the only suit you own?".
As far as the experiment, remember Robert Bruce and the little spider. At least you are not in a damp, cold cave with (YECCH) a spider.
I am not trying to make light of your situation. Your plate is too full. Get a smaller plate. Your plate will still be full but there will be less on it.
Technology is wonderful. It has fulfilled the promise it made forty years ago. A life of leisure, the twenty hour work week, a life-span of one hundred fifty years. When technology becomes overwhelming, remember the ancient Greeks. They calculated how far away the Sun was with a shovel and dripping water. The human mind is the most powerful computer known and your's is the apex of the product line.
This brings me to passwords. I used to have a job figuring out other people's passwords. It was better than the cryptoquote. Give it a try, it is delicious to see the look on their face when they realize that their incredibly devious password is merely mundane.
Clutter? There was Eve, wandering around the Garden of Eden, in a male dominated society, when she said "Hey, who left this apple laying on the ground?". A booming, ominous voice replied "Leave that alone, I need that for Newton! Get out, both of you!". To which her soul-mate and protector said "Now look what you've done.".
The recordings. At least the recordings are blank. How would you like to have spent eight weeks, meticulously programming the VCR and have all eight hours of "The Planet Earth" on one tape and when you went to view it find the final hour of Moonlighting? At the time it was frustrating, now it is a fond memory. I wish for you the same life, frustrations turned to fond memories. You have always found a way to solve problems. Can't decide between two wallpapers and there is not enough of either one? "Dad, lets get both and put a border between.".
You are a marvel and a joy to be with. Your lab and Drew are both blessed. You will persevere and triumph as you have always done. Lab work frustrating? Remember learning to clutch a standard shift? How hard is it now?
All of my love, always.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, it's been so long since I've understood exactly what it is you do...sounds very frustrating. And it's hard when things don't work right at work AND home. My phone issue is kind of the same as Kristen's, when I get on it, that's the perfect time for everybody to start fighting 3 feet away from me and screaming for help, when the cord is only 2 feet long.And we have lost 3 cordless phones through toilet/sink/dog water bowl immersion,so it doesn't make sense to buy another one. I've talked to you guys more blogging than I think I did all last year. Jealous of your holiday preparation progress...

Suztash said...

You are amazing with all your talents, intellect, and abilities! I sure miss decorating for Christmas this year. I've already planned for the boys to help me with lights in the yard next year. I should show this to a certain male person who feels it's too much trouble to put the shades up, because they'll just have to be put down again, anyway! I'm hoping your work becomes more satisfying and rewarding in time...not too much time. Love you.