Sunday, December 16, 2007

cheese straws!!!

Well, I'm finally getting around to finish up the holiday boxes for everyone. I still have one batch of toffee to make (covered in white chocolate, one of my friends is allergic to the real stuff), and several batches of cheese straws. I think I'll also roast a chicken today, which D is looking forward to. I've been waking up early these days, but realize that there isn't really anything for me to do, so I just go back to bed. Of course I could always clean, but I get tired of doing all the things that I "have" to do. Plus D looks so cute wrapped up in blankets with one cat (only one of them will come into our bedroom, but she loves him like crazy).

I went for my first mammogram yesterday, which was kind of scary. Everything turned out well, but having to go early, and not knowing what to expect exactly was nerve-wracking. Fifteen minutes before I left, I was seriously thinking of skipping it. When I got there, they make you put on a robe & go into the back of the breast center. It's almost like a spa back there, with a bunch of women in robes, waiting to go into various rooms. I chatted with an older woman, who said that she still gets nervous every time she goes, and "would have given anything to not have to go" when she got up that morning. But I was out in an hour, and everything was normal. They want me to come back for another one in 6 months, just to document what my tissue looks like, but the doctor told me if I was a little older, he would have just had me come back at 40. He just didn't want me to wait 10 years. On the up side, it was not as painful as I had expected from hearing about other women's experiences. It's just really weird to be squished that much, and to try not to move while they expose the film. I kept thinking, "what if I fall over?", since you are firmly attached to this big machine.

Today's music is Bill Wither's, and there is an extremely fuzzy kitty sitting next to me. :)

5 comments:

sandwhichisthere said...

Today's music here is Pavarotti and Streisand, their Christmas albums. When she sings Ave Maria I cry.
Bill Withers is appropriate for you. I remember thinking of him the first time you went off to grammar school. "Ain't no Sunshine when she's gone.".
all of my love, always

Anonymous said...

I kinda liked the mammography experience, not the boob squishing part, but once I got into the inner sanctum waiting room, there was soothing music, pastries and coffee and herbal tea, and I am being completely honest, a fountain surrounded by orchids and one of those little sand garden thingies. The only worry I had was "my insurance is definitely going to duck out of part of this payment" but I only ended up owing (?) $16. And I loved that they told me right away "everything looks fine" instead of pretending that this information can only be handled by a medical professional, and I can only understand this information if I pay my doctor for another visit so he can explain it to me. The music here, oddly enough, is Amy Winehouse "Rehab" because I can't get it out of my head, so I'm trying to dance and sing it under my breath so the kids don't pick it up. I learned from my mistake of singing "Business Time" by Flight of the Conchords, and all three of them were pointing at me and singing like tiny Barry Whites "awww yeah, tonite's the night we make love, you know how I know? "Cause it's Wednesday...." It got in my head, and I watched it on Youtube in the middle of the night with AJ in my lap, I didn't think he'd recognize the bookmark because he can't read-none of this excuses my poor parental discretion music wise. I'm working on it- but the only thing that gets these songs unstuck is "I like big butts and I cannot lie", so that won't work....

Anonymous said...

Oh, and is" cheese straws" a new expletive at your house? Because it's definitely going to become a new one here...

Kristen said...

Apparently I missed out on some amazing mammogram spa experience! What the heck?! I got to change in a closet the size of a postage stamp, it was absolutely freezing, and there were no frills at all! The radiologist was very nice, though, and did tell me everything was fine right away. I'm surprised that you and Johanna had to go already, though. My doc didn't tell me I needed to go until last year - she just said sometime before I turned 35. Hmmm.

There's a goodie box headed your way as of today, too. Cookies and A's homemade chocolates and caramels. He really outdid himself this year - the caramels look amazing! Can't wait to get your box and devour your treats! Love you!

sandwhichisthere said...

Now I know what cheese straws are, cheese straws are delicious. The candy and cookies were also but they are no longer around. Thank you sweetheart,
all of my love, always