Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Time to submit.... a paper

My advisor and I are almost done with my first, first author manuscript. I'm a little nervous, as we're submitting to the Journal of Comparative Neurology, which is pretty much as high as neuroanatomy journals get. I trust my data, and the statistics that my wonderful consultant has done for us, but the text of the article is freaking me out a little bit. I've been wrapping things up in the past couple of days, just inserting citations for statements that I know I've read before, but as I search the literature, I'm not finding much to back up those assertions. I have found where I read these things, but know I'm not sure that I believe those sources.... So I'm afraid the reviews might be scathing....

I'm trying to step up the pace on a couple of other projects as well, since my committee decided that I just need to finish those two things for my dissertation. Unfortunately, the immuno is not co-operating. My co-localization study is almost ready to get off the ground, but I'm getting a weird background staining that I have yet to abolish. Luckily, the professor who's helping me with the imaging is very understanding, and chalked it up to, well science, today when we met.
So I've got a few more tests to run, before I can generate the tissue for that one.

D gave me some good news about the house today though - our back deck is coming off this weekend! So at least we're getting some progress there :) And last weekend we went and picked up some plants (tomatoes, collard greens, cucumbers, rosemary, coneflower, and brussels sprouts (D's choice, not mine)), and put most of them in the ground. We're lucky to get plenty of rain, so as long as we can keep the groundhog away, I think we should be all right.

Sorry it's all about work today, but there's not much else going on!

4 comments:

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
a long time ago I went to see and hear a piano player that had no arms. That piano player was like a modern scientist. Footnotes were extremely important to him. Be sure to cite every source or you will hear about it.
Brussels sprouts are a graet fall and winter crop. They are better after they have endured a frost. Pull up the whole stalk and bring it inside, the others can endure very cold weather. They are good with melted butter and very good with balsamic vinegar (what isn't).
Good luck on your paper although I am sure that with your diligence and hard work the luck will not be needed. For floorboards on the deck, see if you can find someone that has mahogany. It is more attractive than fir and usually much cheaper. They take stain nicely, you end up with a deck that looks like a dining room table, and are easy to work with. I forget the name of the stain but I can get the name for you for you as that is what I used on Donna's deck and what I used on my Brother's deck,
all of my love, always, daddy

Suztash said...

I'm so sorry for your frustration with your paper and the slides. Unfortunately, that's not necessarily science, but life in general. Nothing ever goes by the book. I found that out when you girls were babies, then toddlers, and at every stage of growth and development. People and situations have always confounded the experts. I hope it's all over soon, and for all your time and painstaking effort....that it is definitely rewarding. Though nothing is a waste...you always learn and grow in the process. I hope you learn to enjoy brussel sprouts. The ones we grew out in the back yard were wonderful....like buttah! Love you and can't wait to see you in September. Mom

Spryte said...

I'm sure your paper will be great!

And YAY! PLANTS!!!

We need to go back to the nursery.

I want some jasmin =)

Kristen said...

Good luck with everything, sweetie!

Oh! We finally set up that upside tomato planter that you sent us awhile back. It's great! I'll have to send you a pic.

Missing you. Especially when R says he wants to be a scientist when he grows up, "just like Aunt Ericka!"

:-)