Thursday, May 21, 2009

The porch is gone!!!

The dumpster was picked up on Tuesday, and now we have one less porch. =)

I've been working alot - running two experiments simultaneously now, which I swore I wasn't going to do anymore. But I think project #1 is going to work this time. The last time I tried to generate tissue for this project, I got a horrible staining artifact that made capturing decent pictures impossible. So I had to tweak a few things, and try again. I think I got rid of it, but won't know for sure until I can check it on the scope up the hill.

The other project is a tract-tracing one, and right now I'm just checking the placement of my injections. So I headed into work reasonably early, and got started. Everything was fine for awhile, and then the fire alarm went off. This happens more frequently than you'd think, and it's usually cleared up in a few minutes, so I headed out of the building. (Plus, of course, there might actually have been a fire, so....)

One hour later, we were all still waiting to go back into the building. Grrrr....

I finally went to another entrance, where the campus police were not hanging around, and went back in. The fire department had come and gone, and we were apparently just waiting for the building manager to figure out what had gone wrong with the alarm system. I had to adjust my plans for the day, and will be in tomorrow to finish it.

After I burned a couple of CDs (back-ups of finished projects), I caught a bus up to our friend Mike's, and met Drew there. He'd been helping Mike with some yardwork & gardening, and since Mike lives near the Pittsburgh Trader Joe's, we took a spin over there & picked up some things that aren't available at the Giant Eagle (our normal grocery store). Then back home to improvise some dinner.

Things I did not get to today: building a fence around the garden area to foil the groundhog. Putting away the clean dishes. Scooping the upstairs cat box (I may still get to that one, perhaps on my way down to bed.)

Stuff I did manage to do: Well, work. Folded and put away some of the clean laundry. Blogged. Called my dad. Took a shower (Don't laugh, sometimes I just don't remember to).

1 comment:

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
I remember how much I used to enjoy fire alarms when I worked on Devonshire Street. We would file out the back door and across the street was the nicest little bucket of blood tavern. It would take quite a bit of time until we were allowed back into the building as the alarms were usually the result of someone cooking on the upper floors. There were apartments up there. Some of those people were unaware that a smoke alarm is not a timer.
I am sure that your experiments are going to go well. The fastidious way in which you approach all of your life assures this. You are a marvel and a wonder and you have your Mother's genes to thank for this. The sarcasm you can thank me for,
daddy