Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Poached fished with ginger and vegetables

Shoot, I just realized I didn't take a picture. Well, my Asian food never really looks appetizing anyway, so you'll just have to picture it for yourself.

I bought a couple of bass the week before last; they were gutted, but still had bones and scales/skin. I foolishly thought that I would save a lot of money by doing this at home, but neglected to properly weight the fact that I don't know how to de-bone a fish. They still had dorsal fins. Ew.

Okay, I really do wish that I'd taken pictures now.

They'd been defrosting for a few days, since I pretty rarely cook these days, but I pulled them out, rinsed them out, and made a first attempt to saw through the bones with a long slender knife, that I think is supposed to be used for filleting. Of course, I was kind of cutting in the wrong direction, but soon stopped. The fish was just a bit too smelly for me to feel safe cooking it, so I tossed it back in the freezer to wait for trash day, and went to the store. I picked up some more bass, this time already prepared for cooking, though still with skin, and some veggies, ginger, and lots of other random things that we needed.

So, about an hour later, I put the groceries away, and pulled out some shrimp stock I made, and froze, back in May. Melted that in the pan, then diluted it, and tried to skim off some of the stuff that was suspended in the liquid.

Poached fish with ginger and vegetables

1 1/2 cups shrimp or fish stock
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 lb bass fillets, with skin on

Heat stock in a large, shallow pan to quick simmer, add water if necessary. Stir in ginger, then place fillets, skin side up, and cover for 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary to poach fish. Remove fish from pan with tongs/spatula. After all pieces are out of the pot, you can add the remaining fillets, and finish them up. Take a fork, and scrape the skin/scales off of the topside each fillet. Try to get it all in one piece, I think it reduces the number of scales that you end up eating unwittingly. Throw it out - I don't know if I want to compost this, b/c of the smell, and I don't know anything else to do with it.

Pour the stock out through cheesecloth and a fine mesh wire strainer, to get the liquid. Don't (as I did!) forget to put a bowl or some kind of container underneath the strainer, so that you can actually get the part you want, rather than sending it down the drain. Luckily, I only did this with half , and my shrimp stock was stronger than I really wanted it to be [which is a whole nother story involving leaving the stove on while D & I both went out for 3 hours.] Dad, I think this means I can no longer make fun of you for doing the same with the great stock debacle of '92 or '93.

Okay, so I diluted the stock some more, in a big Pyrex measuring cup. Rinsed out the pan, and reheated it on mediumish heat.

If you happen to have a handy electric rice maker, now is a good time to start the rice.

And I can't believe I actually use one of these. I have a strong conviction that many gadgets don't really make things easier than doing it by hand. I don't ever make microwave popcorn, though I do use the microwave to heat up coffee/water, melt butter, and bake potatoes. I resisted a food processor for a long time, but for some things, it's worth taking it out for. I used to make fun of people who had rice cookers. Rice is not hard. You boil some water, add some rice, cover it & reduce heat, then check it a couple of times. Voila. But the beauty of the rice cooker is that you don't have to boil the water first, then add the rice. Just put both in, and turn it on. It's pretty much the only step worth eliminating. And, you don't have to check it at all - it switches itself into "Keep Warm" mode.

1 cup (dry weight) rice, prepared
(I used jasmine)

2 tsp oil
1/2 onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup zucchinni, julienned and cut to ~ 1-2 inches
1/2 cup carrot, julienned and cut to same length
1 cup green beans, snapped to same length as above
2 tsp freshly grated ginger

Heat the oil, and add onions, then garlic. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes (3, maybe?) on high, until onions are browning at the edges and crispy. Add the carrots, and a few tablespoons of the stock. cover for 1-2 minutes, maybe turn down the heat a little. Add the peas, and 1/2 C more liquid, to steam the vegetables a little. Recover and cook for a few minutes. Add the zucchini, and recover for 2 more minutes. To the remaining stock, add some rice vinegar, spices, etc, to spice it up a bit.

Add the rest of the stock, ginger, a handful of chopped cilantro leaves and put the fish pieces sans peau back in, cover, and cook 2-3 more minutes. Serve over rice with dry white wine.

We ate outside in the LB Memorial Patio, by candlelight, and with the cats frolicking in the plants :)

It was okay, better than my usual attempts. I think, despite how much I hate it, I need to break out the Wok, and get the oil hotter before I cook the vegetables. At least the Indian is pretty fool-proof, and I have a dishwasher, which makes experimenting with multiple pot cooking possible.

3 comments:

Spryte said...

I've never had bass... but it sounds good!

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
never put any bones or meat in a compost pile. I will not comment on the turkey stock debacle. Shrimp shells and lobster shells make a wonderful stock, use leeks or shallots instead of onions. The only fish that I ever cook are smelts. They don't need to be skinned or scaled or boned. They fry up nicely when they are breaded. I had a microwave but I gave it away. I just never seemed to use it. I do have a small food processor that I use to make bread crumbs. Be careful when using a wok, I use a big cast-iron frying pan instead. You were right to replace the fish. Use fish the day you buy it or don't buy it. It is extremely perishable,
all of my love, daddy

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
one more comment on fish. I wouldn't eat any freshwater fish except trout. There are too many insidious chemicals that they contain. Trout demand such pure water that they could not survive in such a witch's brew. For saltwater, experts recommend eating no more than two striped bass or bluefish a year doe to dioxins and pcbs. Cod and haddock seem to be ok and monkfish, if you can get it, has a large tail that resembles the taste of lobster. Smelts are the king, they don't need to be boned, you eat everything but the head, tail, and entrails. Breaded and fried in butter, they are the king!
daddy