Both of our kitchens are an in-line layout (stop me if you've heard this before). We're lucky to have high ceilings, and a pretty long room (15+ feet), but the whole thing is less than 8 feet wide. So there's not much latitude when it comes to laying out appliances. Plus there's three doorways in each kitchen, so there's a lot of dead space in the rooms.
We also have a huge old fridge. The upside is that it's a side-by-side model, but it always did stick out from the countertop. So, when D put the dishwasher in, we moved the fridge and turned it 90 degrees. The result? More counterspace (we got a butcher block top for it from the lady that gave us the dishwasher. Less claustrophobia - with the fridge in its new spot, the kitchen seems to open up once you pass that. It's still a little cramped if there's more than 2 people in there, but I feel much more comfortable in there now.
Plus, there now is not usually a gigantic pile of dishes in the sinks, in the drainer, on the one sliver of countertop, on top of the stove.... you get the picture. And I only have to wash big bowls or pots by hand - which is the easy part.
I couldn't be happier :)
As for the chili - one of the graduate students is holding a chili cook-off today, so after I went to work this morning, I stopped at the store on the way home, and then made a black bean chili. I didn't have any ground beef, and to be honest I'm not really good at cooking meat, so I just went vegetarian. And made sure to add only veg stock, so if there are vegetarians there, they can eat it too.
It was a completely new recipe. I usually make black bean chili from an old cookbook, Vegetarian Delights (or something like that), which was my first veg cookbook. I bought it when I first moved to Pittsburgh, with a gift certificate my friend Mary gave me when I moved away. But, I don't know where that particular cookbook is right now. And I didn't feel like searching the house for it.
So I winged it. Here goes (so far it tastes pretty awesome):
Ericka's Black Bean chili - serves 4-6
one can black beans
one can kidney beans
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 med-sm onions, finely chopped (I used one white, one yellow)
olive oil
~ 20 oz diced tomatoes in juice (I used one 14 oz can, but it wasn't quite enough so I added another half)
~ 1 tbsp French Thyme
** All spice amounts are a guess. I shake some out in my hand, and just throw stuff in until it looks right.**
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp mole powder (mine is from the garden last year, I only got 5 peppers, but I dried them & ground them by hand, and I wanted to use them for something)
couple of shakes of ancho chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
salt
1 tsp paprika
1 cup vegetable stock (if you don't care whether it's totally veg, you can use chicken stock)
Probably about 1 cup of beer, I used some East End Brewing Company Trippelicious that we had left over from D's birthday - mmmm, very good
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Cast-iron skillet
Rocking French enameled cast-iron pot w/lid.
.jpg)
Heat some olive oil in the skillet, then add the garlic, and thyme. Let it get nice & aromatic, then add onion & saute for 3-4 mins. Add tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
Transfer to your amazing French enameled cast-iron pot. Rinse the canned beans off well, and then add them to the pot. Throw some cumin & chili powder in there and add the veg stock. Stir it around, cover it, and let it cook for a few minutes. Open it back up, add the rest of the powdered spices & the beer, and simmer for ~ 20 minutes. Taste it, add the cilantro & anything else you want to tweak, and simmer for another 15 minutes. D suggested I add some lime juice, so I squeezed in a bit and cooked another 10 minutes after that.
Yum!
2 comments:
Sweetheart,
I envy you that pot. I have one like it that I got at Salvation Army for a dollar and I use it for everything. I got a stainless steel replacement handle for the top from Kitchenaid, so that it could go into the oven, for ten dollars.
The French are infuriating, they do absolutely everything right which bothers those of us who think that we do,
all of my love to you and Drew, always, daddy
Sweetheart,
eventually that amazing pot is going to get discolored or have a half inch layer of burned fond on the bottom. Here is what I do to rectify that.
Burned brown stuff: Take an old onion bag and put about five tablespoons of baking soda in the pot. Put in a little water to make a thick paste. Scrub with the onion bag until the majority of the crust is loosened. Rinse out pot. Put a good two inches of bleach into the pot and let it sit for at least a day. Rinse out pot and scrub again with onion bag and baking soda.
Discolored enamel: 1 inch of bleach, fill with water to above the level of discoloration. Let sit for at least twenty-four hours. Discoloration should disappear.
Never use a metal spoon or utensile in the pot. A wooden spoon or a heat resistant plastic spoon is the only thing to use or you will get a nasty cicle of exposed cast iron on the bottom.
Baking soda is a very gentle abrasive. The only thing gentler is toothpaste and a rag,
all of my love to you and Drew, always, daddy
Post a Comment