Well, I'm sure you've all had your share of strange weather this year (and last year too, come to think of it). But this past weekend it was 90+ every day, and it doesn't look the heat is going to let up anytime soon. D wrestled our small & solitary air conditioner into our bedroom window on Saturday, and last night we ate outside on our patio. This still isn't completely finished, mainly because no-one can get up the motivation to lift those giant rocks again - it's pretty much a one-shot deal. Once someone has done this once, it's very difficult to convince them that they want to do it again. And, we have to lift them up in order to add more marble chips & get everything levels. But, it will get done someday.
Otherwise, I got a chance to clean up the house - especially vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen up (including the floor), and getting some laundry done. I'm getting much better at grilling, too. We ate bar-b-que chicken wings and vegetable kabobs last nite, while watching 60 minutes on a small b&w portable tv. We also broke out some new citronella candles. I'm still not convinced that these work to repel mosquitoes, but I hate having bug spray all over me, so I'm giving it a whirl. If they don't work, I may try out a new trap I saw recently - that uses CO2 to attract the little bloodsuckers.
Not much else to report. I'm anxiously awaiting my copy of DMR, and trying to get a lot of analysis done while I have the time this summer. Plus, I'll be really pushing to get some other experiments done (these will generate cool pictures that I will have to post).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sweetheart, I don't think that citronella works very well. I have had very good luck with Avon's Skin So Soft. Mix it with some water in the sink and then use a face cloth to rub it all over exposed areas of your skin. CVS makes a less expensive Skin So Soft but I don't know how it works. My brother got a machine called The Mosquito Magnet which uses heat, CO2, and ultraviolet. The mosquitos can't resist its allure. He should have thought more about the word magnet. His machine has made his neighbors very happy but hasn't helped him
Moving big rocks can be quite a task. Archimedes figured out how to do it. Once you get them up a bit, you have to use rollers to move them aside. NEVER place any part of you under them! I didn't read this, I experienced it. Keep your feet and hands away from their area of descent. Let the men do the work. You will have to comfort them with their sore backs and compressed extremities. Men love moving rocks. I noticed this while camping. The first thing they do is make a circle of rocks around the campfire. It was then that I realized that I may be the only person on Earth that understands the purpose of Stonehenge.
Never put a circle of rocks or bricks around a fire. They often have air pockets inside them. Death by geode is not impossible. Fire bricks, the yellow ones, are OK. Again, this is experience speaking, not reading.
It is hot here also. Al Gore should run to tell the Bush that the sky is heating. What a world my generation is going to leave to its children. We were left a world of wonders, hope, and peace by our parents. Too bad we didn't have the wisdom to pass that legacy on but we are the ME generation. We should all be required to read Caves of Steel,
all of my love, always, daddy
Hi Sweetie,
I don't know if you remember the area I created around my fishpond, but it is laid out in these heavy faux cobble stone blocks 18"x18". It is completely unlevel, sloping to the west and very obvious. They were horrendous to pick up, move and put in place...so much so that even when it was quite evident they needed to be rearranged, I didn't have the mental or physical stamina to make the adjustment! I'd say two thirds would have to be lifted and raised. I'll save that project for the person who purchases my home when I'm gone! Maybe in years to come, my little fishpond area will have acquired the fame of the Piza tower! Yes, I may have achieved a construction anomale!
I'm sorry you have to deal with mosquitos. Thank God, they're nearly never encountered here, at least not in this area. I'm sure deeper into central Florida they're a problem, but they don't seem to inhabit this area. I think I've had three bites since we've moved down here! I've seen something advertised that looks like a mission style lantern with a chemically treated insert that is supposed to keep mosquitos away.
Grandpa uses a fogger for his yard. He does get alot of mosquitos up north of Tallahassee.
Well, hope you enjoy your summer and your patio. Maybe you could have a caveman party and invite all Drew's friends..."hop'm'up" on all that beer you purchased and have them show their muscles by moving the boulders! Good luck! Love you. Mom
Hi, Sweets! I'm glad you're back safe and sound. And that you had a good trip. We're sweltering up here, too. But last year we bought one of those inflatable pools (complete with cup holders and a bench!), and R and I spent all day Sunday and part of Monday in it. It made the heat bearable. I think it's supposed to break today so we'll be a little cooler tomorrow, though.
Miss you! I hope we can talk soon!
Love
K
Post a Comment