Sunday, January 18, 2009

Still snowing in Pittsburgh

I don't even know what day we're on, snow-wise. The past few days have been colder than I think I've ever experienced before, although the air was so dry & there was little wind, so it didn't feel that cold. Luckily, we're back in the 20s, so there's that. But I still have to go out and shovel in a little bit.

Not much happening here at the homestead. I'm tempted to go to work, but I can't really think of anything to do there, except grab my laptop charger, as the house has swallowed my alternate. It's a tidy-up type of Sunday, and I have already:

1)made coffee (obviously necessary)
2) gotten D out of bed (at 9!!! this is truly an amazing and noteworthy feat)
3) cleaned the bathroom - I've decided I need grime colored tiles for the next bathroom - the white shows some pretty nasty stuff after 2 weeks, and I don't like cleaning the bathroom enough to do it more often
4)done one load of laundry, which I am about to switch over to the dryer

also played two pretty dismal games of Katamari - I only made it to 2000 m diameter, and usually I can get >3200

Also, yesterday I actually finished up writing my introduction to this paper. I have still to insert endless citations & double check that these papers are saying what I'm saying they're saying. Though luckily not all of them (some of them I know like the back of my hand). But there's a lot of old stuff (1975-2000) that were experiments done before people had discovered the gene for this protein, and so they need to be gone over with a fine toothed comb to match up the findings with later stuff... Sorry, I'm boring everyone. But there are parts of my job that are really challenging intellectually, & I guess it's actually those parts that I like. I do hate the tedium of putting in citations though.

Even more surprising, I acutally revised some of my writing. I'm not generally good at this. In college, I usually only wrote one draft, and handed it in. There were a few notable exceptions (one comparative lit paper, that was ~15 pages long, generated 80+ pages in drafts as I wrote and rewrote and rewrote). I'm also getting used to being less obsessed with getting the right wording - my boss is very good at rewording things for conciseness, to get rid of repetition, etc, and so if I feel stuck on something, I can let it go, and know that she'll be able to correct it later, probably with much less effort.

4 comments:

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
white tile for the bathroom. If utility were the only consideration for bathrooms, all toilets would be brown. White looks so much brighter and clean. A spray bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels makes cleaning tile easy. There was a household hint once that suggested using spray-on car wax to keep the tile clean. Unfortunatly some of the spray falls on the tub. The only reason to use wax on the bath tub is if your companion has a large amount of life insurance,
all of my love to you and Drew, always, daddy

Kristen said...

I've been using the Mrs. Meyer's shower spray on our white tile, and it's truly amazing. You spray it on after you shower, and it makes everything sparkly and keeps it clean. I like the lavender-scented one.

Good luck with your paper! Happy Inauguration Eve! :-)

Suztash said...

Ericka,
If you tackle the shower tile and tub while you're still wet, in a towel...no build up. Of course, you also need to immediately clean up after anyone else using the bath! But, it is much easier to maintain clean than to catch up after several days or weeks. It is amazing that data from 1975-2000 would be considered old. I remember when the spectre of 1970 seemed futuristic! But I guess in science anything before yesterday could be old. Science is exciting when you put it in the context of the Divine. Love you, Mom

Ericka said...

I don't think the 1970s are old, but since everything went online, no-one reads anything more than 5 years old. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm going to the library!

I guess the other side of it is that science stuff usually gets refuted within 10-15 years, so its pretty amazing that this research is still relevant. From the papers I read recently, I don't think people cite this work anymore, but I feel like I'm cheating people if I don't try to put everyone's contributions in correctly.