Monday, December 8, 2008

More reasonable estimate = YAY!

We've been having contractor drama lately. There have been problems getting people to show up (although it has been really cold in Pgh lately, so I understand that emergency calls take precedent). We got our first estimate on Monday last week.

First, a description of what has to be done. We need a new forced-air heating system (including all ductwork) to be installed (w/AC - I can't get D to compromise on the AC, I think the house does not get that hot) to heat the 2nd and third floors. The upside is that we're having the furnace put in on the 3rd floor, and most of the walls are down in the second floor. We don't care if they make a mess, as it is already, well, a construction zone. So running the duct-work, while still time-consuming, will be quicker than if, say, the walls were all up & we needed to pump all the air up through the first floor (10+ foot ceilings) to the 3rd floor & distribute through both the 2nd & 3rd floors.

The first estimate was $25-30k. This is considerably more than we expected to hear. The representative actually asked me if I was sitting down before she told me. I still need to call her back to confirm that this doesn't include solid gold ductwork, or perhaps they mistakenly thought that we wanted a system for the first floor as well.

Our second estimate came in today at a much more reasonable 10k. By the guy recommended by D's mom.

Just out of curiosity, I checked Angie's list to see if either person had any reviews. The first people seem to charge ~4x what everyone else does - lots of people turned them down because of this. The second guy (Fazio Heating) had a lot of positive reviews & 1 pretty negative one with pictures that did not look good. So, I've selected another company to call for another estimate, & we'll also try to goad our friend, Jeff, into getting his butt down here, taking some money from us, and doing a good job.

But, we'll have heat up there by mid-January :) And then we can put in walls.

1 comment:

sandwhichisthere said...

Sweetheart,
the idea of having the furnace on the third floor is confusing, Thr heat will have to be forced down to the other floors, something heat is reticent to do. The furnace not only supplys heat to the duct work, it generates heat to the environment that it is located in. That heat will naturally only rise. The third floor is going to be nice and toasty. This was discovered by Newton several years ago. Get everything that is to be done in writing. This is crucial! I don't mean to butt in as I am sure that you have covered all possibilities in your usual methodical and logical way. One last thing: GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING,
all of my love to you and Drew, always, daddy