Well, apparently it has been several weeks since I've posted. So I'm trying to remedy that. Unfortunately, not much has been happening except school related stuff. I finished my written progress report last Friday & sent it off - I'm not happy with the way it turned out, but I worked on it for ~ 2 weeks, so I'm not sure how much more I could expect. Hopefully, I won't be yelled at too badly come Thursday (when my progress meeting is). So today, I'm working from home, trying to get my presentation done, & to fill in some of the things that I didn't discuss in the written report.
In good news, I had a new publication come out. I didn't write it (and wasn't kept in the loop, even for the methods section.... grrrr!), but at least I got something else with my name on it.
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/105/11/4405
And, having the immunogold-silver measurement of transporter incorporation into plasmamembrane published helps to validate this method for my own thesis stuff, so hopefully it will be easier to publish my own papers later.
Unfortunately, I haven't made much thesis progress in the last year. I've worked out a lot of methods, but haven't got all that much data yet. So I'm dreading this meeting, but also strangely looking forward to it. If somebody would just yell at me, tell me I'm not getting enough done, then I feel like I might actually be a little more motivated. But, only time will tell....
In house news, well, it's pretty much the same. We got a new (to us) futon this weekend, and I came up with another idea for a TV show. D keeps a running list, because he wants to produce short segments for internet or broadcast (y'know, should he even find himself owning a low-power TV station). So we have things like ghetto gourmet (cooking show featuring ramen noodles, grilled cheese, falafel, etc.), and the new one is a home show (think HGTV). This one is called "Let's move this couch!". Hopefully, you can guess the premise. Large, unwieldy couches, a couple of people, and maneuvering the couch around small spaces.
But, we'll be getting a dumpster delivered later in the month, and I'll start removing large amounts of plaster & lath. Plus, we'll be able to get rid of a bunch of trash that's been hanging out at our house for a couple of years now :)
Our plants are doing pretty well. I transplanted a bunch of tomatoes, zinnias, delphinium, and coreopsis on Sunday, and did some clean-up around the yard. I also scooped out all the ashes from our fireplace, and mixed them in with our compost and some of our vegetable beds. With any luck, I'll be able to put plants outside in a couple of weeks. I'm taking a week off at the end of April, for the dumpster, and also for my own sanity. I've been working all week, and most weekends for a long time, so it'll be nice to have a full week of not doing any school-related work.
Sadly, I won't be able to make it to Massachusetts for my nephew's birthday. It's the second year in a row that I've had to skip it, but I will be seeing him in August, so I'll have to just make do with that (and my calendar, which makes me smile every day).
Okay, well, I have to get back to doing work, so that'll be it for now. I hope you all have a good week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, it's Johanna, I think my id's gone, so I'm pretending to be Shaun, but there actually was a show proposed in Tampa about poor people cooking, each meal had to cost under $10, and be cooked in the recipe submitter's kitchen(I didn't submit any because I am SO under the $10 per meal mark), but I don't know if it actually ever aired. My idea for a home improvement show using only the piles of belongings discarded by recently evicted neighbors (I like "The House That Crap Built" as a title) will someday be a huge hit. I love Let's Move This Couch. You could close up the drama, the slight bruising, the avoidance and lack of motivation, the tense glances between people romantically involved, the agony of miscalculating the doorways.... I miss you so much, and will call when I have your number handy/have charged phone, at the same time....
Post a Comment