I know I promised to finish the Thanksgiving trek story next, but this is more fresh in my memory. Also, geesh, when am I going to cook something? It's been nothing but pizza and fend-for-yourself for quite awhile in these here parts. :)
Actually I'm enjoying some blackened catfish (good, but salty), white corn polenta with parmesan, and kale sauteed with onions even as we speak. But, back to my 2nd interview tale.
Back in October, when I attended the SFN conference in Chicago, I finally worked up the nerve to ask one of our collaborators about post-doc positions. I've had a lot of reservations about the whole post-doc thing, and I'm still not thrilled about the pay level, given how much education is required prior to this, but the non-academic job market has changed in the recent past. Many positions (of what's left; not too many people are actually hiring) now require 3-5 years of postdoctoral research, so it looks like I'm headed in that direction anyway. The thing is, this guy is a big deal in my field of research (and a few others as well), uses the techniques I think will be most helpful (and that address experimental questions I come up with), and has trained a lot of people who've gone on to become successful.
So I headed down there a couple of weekends ago, and got to see some of Nashville before the marathon interview. I got in on Saturday, visited with some friends from Pittsburgh (who moved down there last year for work), spent Sunday working & purchasing some last minute necessities to look put together on Monday for my talk, returned my rental car to the airport (needed it on Saturday), and got ready for dinner with the research group I would be working with.
At 5:40 pm, the interview started. 7 of us had dinner at a pretty good Thai restaurant, and I actually had a great time. The people were friendly, funny, and gave me the pros and cons of Nashville (most are explants from other areas) and Vanderbilt. I got back to the hotel around 9:30, and went back to work on my talk. This is the same talk I gave at NYU, but I had updated some of the data, and had to rework a few things for a different audience. I think I went to sleep around 12/12:30, and got up with plenty of time to spare.
Which is a good thing, b/c while I was in the shower, the head guy called to see if he could pick me up 15 minutes earlier. He managed to reach me after leaving me a message, and I agreed. So he picked me up at 8:15, we went to breakfast at a cool diner near campus, and then he gave me a quick walking tour on the way to the labs. Showed me around the various labs, then went to get set up for my talk at 10.
I got that out of the way (ugh, I don't like my own work, though I wasn't as nervous as last time, and since this will also end up being my thesis talk, I need the practice), and started meeting with people. Two senior lab techs/lab managers, four graduate students @ lunch, three post-docs, two junior lab techs and another grad student later, the head guy picked me up & took me to a hockey game (with a few other people from the lab). We talked a lot of science, but man, was that a long day (8 am till 10 pm straight).
Tuesday, I packed up my stuff, checked out of the hotel, and the head guy picked me up again for a few more meetings. We checked out a new microscope that Olympus was demonstrating that day (very cool, I wish I had one now; it would make my data collection much much quicker), then I met with the Postdoc affairs lady, another grad student, and had a meeting with the head guy before he drove me to the airport.
We left it open, with a soft deadline for me to accept or pass of by the end of February.
It's a great opportunity, but Nashville is certainly not somewhere I had on my radar. It is definitely in the South, financially about the same as Pittsburgh (okay, a little more expensive, but not much), and I heard several comments about church, so that would be a little different. I didn't state my beliefs outright, so I hope that doesn't become an issue. But it's also warm (yay!) and the research environment seems like a step in the right direction from where I am now.
D seems on board, even though it might be tough for him job-wise. I'm subtly suggesting he should go work at a vineyard, and learn how to make wine - but that's my daydream, I suppose. I do worry that this might not be the right step for us, but I think he wants me to go after what I need for my career. I also worry that I'll be a disappointing post-doc, but I don't think there's anything I can do about that unless it starts actually happening.
So it looks like I'll be moving to Tennessee, come September, assuming my thesis gets wrapped up without any further major snags.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Is it definite? Or are you still looking?
I think it's definite. He e-mailed me today to say how much everyone liked me & what a good fit he thought it was. I'm almost done with thank-yous to everyone, haven't responded to him to accept the offer, but will probly do so early next week. I think it's the right move.
Sweetheart,
I spent some time in Nashville many years ago. The only thing that I remember is that those people party all night. I wonder how anyone gets any work done as they go home when the Sun is rising. They also play a lot of pool and they are really, really, good at it. Never play pool with someone from Nashville for money, no matter how bad they seem to play or how ridiculous the bet is. I once played a man that said he got the break in nine ball and he also got the first shot. The bet was that I would not get a shot. WOW! Easy bet to win. He broke and did not make a ball. On his first shot he sunk the eight ball. WOW,I won! Oh no I didn't. The game was over because he had sunk the eight ball and I never got a shot. "Been playin since theys babies" and in walked a big dumb Yankee.
Pool and whiskey and music and wild, wild women. That's what I remember about Nashville.
I think the best of my pool playing days are behind me, and though I always enjoyed playing (especially when I was better at it), I've never played for money.
My days of partying all night are long gone too, D & I went to his work holiday party last week, and left at 9:30. Granted, the wine they chose was awful, but still...! I guess I've moved into the stage of life where it's more about the food :)
As someone transplanted to Nashville four years ago, let me set your mind at ease. We were expats in the Netherlands prior to moving to this area. There is a very diverse set of people (and wine) in the area. We enjoy the music (blues) and the sports (ice hockey). If you need a tour guide when head this way, feel free to contact me.
http://www.JulieMcLeland.com
Realtor
Keller Williams
615-568-3400
I'm so happy for you... but so sad for me!!!
How mature you have become. It took me sixty years to realize that it's all about the food. I remember fried catfish stands along the Mississippi. I don't think that I ever passed one by. I know that I never passed by a barbeque stand. My new motto is "Don't eat anything that didn't have parents.".
Just read your post! Congratulations on getting through the interview experience successfully! This sounds like an exciting move for you guys, but it's good to take a few days to think about it, too.
I wish you were moving closer to us, of course, but you know we'll come visit wherever you go. Love you!
@ Kristen,
I wish we were heading back to NE too, but financially this will be a lot easier. Hopefully the next move will be Boston, SF, or France (I might be able to swing a fellowship of 2-3 yrs there). I do like living different places, and as sad as it seems, I think that was a big reason I got into science. That, and being a huge dork :)
I also think (often) of my 8th grade science teacher, Mr. Holzmann, who told us to go see & explore this country, as it's so geographically & socially diverse, before going off to Europe, etc. I may never live in the middle states, but I'm glad to see different places & meet different people. Remind me of that when I hate it in 10 months. (D asserts that it takes 2 yrs to stop hating a new place).
In the meantime, while I was visiting, I asked about nature-things around there. There's the Cumberland river (canoeing), and a couple of lake recreation areas & lots of hiking, and the head guy told me that near the Kentucky border there's all kinds of caves, so I have some ideas for whenever you guys can make it down. Also, lots of civil war history, which would be an entirely new perspective on that for me, too. So, lots of new stuff to experience (plus they have a 7-day a week farmer's market, a ballet company, Vanderbilt has lots of perks, and lots of restaurants from what I saw)!
I guess I am getting kind of excited about it.
France?
That sacred temple where the worshipers offer up burned butter and libations of cream to the gods of cuisine! A chance to spend hours wandering through the Louvre and maybe a chance to spend a year in Provence. Go for it sweetheart. Go for it now while you are young because once you get old, you resist change and can't bear the thought of moving again. You also have misplaced your boxes.
Fifty different kinds of cheese, now that is civilization,
daddy
Congratulations! We will definitely be expanding our universe and learning the routes from NYC to Nashville via P'burgh! We love you and think you are both terrific!
(And I'm glad I found your blog!)
Post a Comment