Sorry, everybody, I haven't actually taken any pictures of the brick retaining walls in the garden. This is sort of a shame, because there were several stages of the garden building (and it's not quite done yet), but it was also pretty ugly for awhile. Plus, I just don't take that many pictures. But it's finally shaping up, and I've loaded it with transplanted yellow-pear and cherry tomatoes, four different kinds of peppers, corn, carrots, eggplant, melons, more tomatoes, broccoli and some flowers (to attract the bees). We have one section left to dig out and level while adding
some better topsoil. And then it will be on to the front garden. D bought this book off amazon:
The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Living in the Heart of the City (by Kelly Coyne & Erik Knutzen);
and it's made me alot more comfortable about our jungle-like garden. Plus, I'm going to try out their suggestion to mulch over the beds this winter, & see how next year goes.
We've had dramatic weather here for a couple of weeks now, daily thunderstorms & the like. Being right at the top of the hill, we have an amazing view of any lightning the strikes over the city of Pittsburgh. And I'll post sometime later about a very strange lightning storm that I saw last weekend, once I get the description of it right :)
Naturally, we haven't been able to do quite as much work on the yard as we wish, and we're both trying to balance a big workload at work with moving forward on the house. We bought some insulation today for the second floor, and a new cordless drill (the last one's battery pack won't recharge). So next weekend, we'll (hopefully) start wiring some of the second floor rooms, and I may start removing the old heating system. We'll have to see how it goes. But for now, I have to go to sleep - it'll be a tough week coming up at work, but once it's done I'll have actually finished one experiment of my thesis!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh you are so much more successful with your gardening than I am, congratulations on your fabulous wall. We've had particularly insane lightning storms here lately, I have had laundry on the clothesline for like a week now, that keeps getting soaked over and over again-it's really clean! And probably growing mold! You are my personal home improvement hero.
Sweetheart,
gardening is one of the things that I miss the most and it was enjoyable to read your post. Good luck with your garden. This year I have basil and each morning, before the Sun fully appears, I like to have coffee on the porch and pick a leaf just to smell the clean fragrance of it.
Two questions:
1. Are prions affected by copper?
One of the unnatural exposures of our modern life is is the increased copper content of our drinking water due to copper piping.
2. Can nanobacteria bind to aluminum?
Again, modern life gives us increased exposure to aluminum due to aluminum cans and, I think, baking powder,
all of my love, always, daddy
Sweetheart,
just a thought on cordless tools. A cordless tool needs to be almost totally discharged occasionally. If the battery pack is kept at full charge or partial charge for too long, it forgets how to recharge. I used to put an elastic around the trigger to get them discharged. Maybe attaching a wire to the negative terminal and then to ground will do it but I never tried that. Water pipes and radiators are usually directly attached to ground. Do not mess with the telephone ground, which is usually attached to a water pipe, because, if the telephone rings while you are holding it, the results can be shocking. I used to know what ringing voltage is but I cannot remember. I think that it is 300 or 600 volts.
I hope that all is well with you and Drew and that it has not been as hot and humid where you are as it has been here,
all of my love, always, daddy
Sweetheart,
I have tried to call you on the cellular telephone, using the number that I have reached you on before. I keep reaching some lady who verifies the number but claims that she has had that number for over three years. The number I call is _ _ _-478-3068. I have no explanation for this as I have reached you on this number before. I hope that all is well with you and Drew. I miss talking to you. You are the only person that listens to my drivel without falling asleep.
all of my love, always, daddy
Post a Comment